How to Find the Best Fertility Clinic for LGBTQ+ Family-Building
The decision to become a parent is a big step. Like other significant decisions in life, it can come with a certain amount of uncertainty, particularly for those who feel they may have limited options, such as the LGBTQ+ community. But today, there are many new and exciting options for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, intersex individuals, and more. Fertility treatment can be complex and overwhelming, particularly when choosing the right fertility clinic for LGBTQ+ individuals starting their family-building journey. Here are some helpful action steps to consider during your search.
Finding the Right LGBTQ+ Fertility Clinic
Your family planning journey begins with finding the best fertility clinic for LGBTQ+ individuals and couples. Selecting the right clinic can streamline the process. Here are some guidelines to help you.
- Find fertility clinics known for being LGBTQ+-friendly with experience working with LGBTQ+ individuals and couples. Look for clinics that explicitly mention inclusion and support of diverse families.
- Obtain recommendations from LGBTQ+ individuals and couples who can offer an agency referral after a positive experience in receiving fertility treatments. An online forum, LGBTQ+ support group, or an advocacy group near you may be able to provide helpful information and share personal experiences.
- Visit the websites of fertility clinics you are considering to discover what information is provided. LGBTQ+-inclusive language, straightforward statements, and patient testimonials are good signs that the clinic serves the LGBTQ+ community.
- Ensure that the clinic you select is well-informed regarding the legalities of LGBTQ+ family-building options in your state.
- Review whether a potential clinic has expertise in LGBTQ+ family-building and ask about success rates. Find out if the clinic has experience working with same-sex couples, transgender individuals, or individuals/couples who are LGBTQ+. If you are considering donor insemination, egg donation, in vitro fertilization (IVF), intrauterine insemination (IUI), or surrogacy, find out about the clinic’s success rates for these treatments.
- Ensure that the clinic has advanced technology as one of its most important features. The technology commonly used in fertility clinics includes Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI), classic IVF, preimplantation genetic testing (PGT), oocyte cryopreservation (i.e., egg freezing), and storage of donated eggs and sperm.
- Consider the range of services and treatment options offered by the clinic, including specific fertility evaluation and testing, IUI, IVF, third-party reproduction (i.e., egg or sperm donation, or gestational carrier services), as well as fertility preservation for transgender individuals.
- Understand the costs associated with fertility care, including consultation fees, fertility procedures, medications, and additional services. Inquire about insurance coverage and financing options.
- Identify potential clinics that fit your needs and expectations and schedule a consultation with each. Make a list of questions for your fertility doctor and list your top priorities – such as a supportive environment and personalized care – in a treatment facility of your choice.
Begin Your Fertility Clinic Search
Find a fertility clinic that aligns with your values, offers LGBTQ+-friendly services, and provides the expertise and support you need to become a parent. At the Prelude Network, our fertility clinics proudly serve the LGBTQ+ community. Get started on your family-building journey by scheduling an appointment to speak with one of our patient care experts.